blook BAM/PFA

On the Road.

Beat_PullMyDaisy.jpg

Introducing :: On the Road

We have named the travel section of blook “On the Road” as a tribute to the Bay Area’s beat-era roots and our Berkeley heritage.

“Jack Kerouac recognized ‘leader’ of the beat generation. Among his published novels are: On the Road, Dr. Sax, The Subterraneans, Dharma Bums, Mary Cassidy, The Town and the City. Pull My Daisy is a free improvisation on a scene from an unproduced play by Jack Kerouac. Made by Robert Frank. It is their first film—but what a film. It was shot without script. It is a tragi-comedy or a tragi-documentary about an evening at the place of a young villager, a “railway worker” who is being visited by some poet friends abd by a young “Bishop” of some unidentifiable church. They talk, drink beer, discuss God, play the trumpet, talk again. Nothing much happens… The camera harshly and pitilessly reveals the bedroom, the sink, the table, the cockroaches….

Pull My Daisy, approached logically, is meaningless and absurd. It is not a film of action or logical statements: it is, rather, a portrait of the inner condition of an entire generation. It could even be called a “beat-film”—and the only truly “beat” film if there is one—in the sense that beat is an expression of the new generation’s unconscious and spontaneous rejection of the middle-class way, the business-man’s way. And it is a thoroughly serious film despite its robe of nonsense—as a matter of fact, the most serious American film in my memory.”

—Excerpted from Pull My Daisy Press Kit, 1958, read more on CineFiles

Pull My Daisy has screened several times at the PFA Theater, most recently in November 2006 as part of Beat-era Cinema, a film series in conjunction with the exhibition Semina Culture. View the 2006 Film Note.

UPDATE
Catch this film again tomorrow night, February 9, 2010, as part of Alfred Leslie: Cool Man in a Golden Age

Dorris Zmolek | June 29, 2012 3:53 PM

Good day very nice website!! Man .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .. I'll bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally…I'm glad to find so many helpful info right here in the post, we want develop extra techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

Gregory Despain | September 12, 2012 12:06 AM

Hello my friend , this is a nice article , reading your blog i'm guessing you know more that me about websites and blogs , i have a question , i just download over 1 000 000 websites URLs address for backlinks edu and gov , i need a software that i can post a backlink automatic to my website or blogs , please if you can give me a advise , name of the program or point me a link that i can go there and download the program.

sbobet | September 13, 2012 5:56 PM

That is a really good tip particularly to those new to the blogosphere. Short but very accurate information… Thank you for sharing this one. A must read post!

Ka Llanas | September 26, 2012 1:54 AM

I dugg some of you post as I cerebrated they were very helpful very useful.