blook BAM/PFA

FYI.

DeadKennedys©GEF_cropped.jpg

Newly Acquired Glen E. Friedman Photographs Capture the Searing Energy of the Nascent Hardcore and Skateboarding Scenes

The photographs of Glen E. Friedman encapsulate the blistering tension and improvisation of the late 1970s and early 1980s California underground scene. Arising from very specific circumstances—drought, financial crisis, the invention of synthetic skateboard wheels—early Dogtown skateboarder Tony Alva, punk impresario Jello Biafra, and photographer Friedman were conduits for a zeitgeist of do-it-yourself rebellions. Their raw aesthetic, now ubiquitous in mainstream culture, was then novel, a decisive assault on the conservative riptide that they found in everything from organized sports to New Wave music. Friedman approached the scene with the ethos of an embedded war photographer channeling the smoldering humanism of John Cassavetes. The images both document and embody the gritty, sneering vitality of a subcultural renaissance.

BAM/PFA is pleased to announce that we have recently acquired six Glen E. Friedman photographs through the generosity of The Buddy Taub Foundation, including the 1977 Tony Alva and at the Original Dogbowl and Jello Biafra, Dead Kennedys, L.A., July 1982. Since 2007, The Buddy Taub Foundation has enabled BAM/PFA to purchase exemplary works by Lothar Baumgarten, Sarah Charlesworth, Dan Flavin, Avery Preesman, Paul Sharits, Miller Updegraff, Ned Vena, and Lawrence Weiner.

(Above photo) Glen E. Friedman: Jello Biafra, Dead Kennedys, LA, July 1982, 1982; black and white photograph; 30 x 40 in.; purchase made possible through a gift of The Buddy Taub Foundation, Dennis A. Roach and Jill Roach, Directors.

sbobet | September 13, 2012 12:39 AM

I would like to show my thanks to this writer just for bailing me out of this trouble. After searching throughout the online world and meeting proposals which were not helpful, I thought my entire life was gone. Being alive minus the strategies to the difficulties you've solved by means of this guide is a serious case, and ones that might have in a negative way affected my career if I hadn't come across the blog. Your primary knowledge and kindness in controlling all things was tremendous. I'm not sure what I would have done if I hadn't discovered such a stuff like this. I can at this moment relish my future. Thank you so much for your professional and effective guide. I won't be reluctant to recommend the sites to anybody who needs and wants recommendations on this problem.

Lesley Krauskopf | September 13, 2012 1:35 AM

Feel Astounding Unique best forum,working on my Associate and this has helped so much.

Miriam Fahl | September 26, 2012 1:09 AM

I am forever thought about this, regards for posting.